Co-Founder Aristide Laurent Dead at 70
BY Neal Broverman
October 31 2011 7:55 PM ET
Aristide Laurent, a longtime gay rights activist and one of the founders of The Advocate, died at his Los Angeles home on Wednesday following a long battle with cancer.
Along with Richard Mitch, Bill Mau, and Sam Allen, Laurent in 1967 created the gay newspaper The Los Angeles Advocate; it would soon become a national magazine known simply as The Advocate. Laurent, an ABC television employee, produced early issues of the The Advocate clandestinely in the studio's basement print shop. Laurent used a pseudonym, as most did at the time, and wrote a nightlife column for the nascent publication.
When The Advocate briefly moved to the Bay Area in 1975, Laurent stayed in Los Angeles and started NewsWest, a gay-related newspaper that printed until 1977.
Laurent fought vociferously against police harassment of gays, participating in riots at L.A.'s Black Cat bar, which predated Stonewall by two years. Laurent was also active in ACT UP in the '80s, and attended the March on Washington in 1993.
The activist was born in Magnolia Springs, Ala. in 1941, the son of a farm hand and his wife. Laurent was an altar boy and choir leader at his local church before joining the Air Force in 1960, where he served for four years as a signals intelligence operator in Turkey, as well as an instructor to new recruits.
Laurent is survived by nieces Tina Weeks and Natalie Dykes of Magnolia Springs, Ala. and a nephew, Kevin Weeks of Baton Rouge, La. Services will be held at St. John's Catholic Church in Magnolia Springs on Nov. 5. Memorial contributions may be sent to Best Friends Animal Society.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 17 min 28 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM