Gaga Launches Anti-bullying Born This Way Foundation
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 02 2011 3:40 PM ET
Lady Gaga continues her campaign to promote self-acceptance and end antigay bullying by announcing the launch of her Born This Way Foundation, reports the Associated Press.
The entertainer will use the title of her hit pro-LGBT anthem and best-selling album as the name of the non-profit that will focus on youth empowerment and "issues like self-confidence, well-being, anti-bullying, mentoring and career development."
Gaga will personally direct the foundation, along with and her mother, Cynthia Germanotta. "Together we hope to establish a standard of Bravery and Kindness, as well as a community worldwide that protects and nurtures others in the face of bullying and abandonment," Gaga says in a statement.
The foundation will work with several partners, including the John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the California Endowment, and the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University.
"Lady Gaga will help empower and give voice to young people who find themselves overwhelmed, under-supported, disconnected, isolated, bullied, or struggling," says Dr. Bob Ross, the CEO and president of The California Endowment. "This brand of leadership is sorely needed in today's world."
The foundation will be officially launched sometime next year and an advisory board is expected to be announced soon.
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 20 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 25 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 31 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 33 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 1 hour 37 min ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 2 hours 20 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM