Inside a Twitter War: Kelly Osbourne Vs. Transphobia Allegation
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 02 2011 6:57 PM ET
Straight ally Kelly Osbourne has tweeted an apology after angering transgender activists and much of the LGBT community by using the word "tranny" and an even more derogatory term while discussing her breakup with ex-boyfriend Luke Worrall over trans model Elle Schneider.
During an interview that will appear in an upcoming issue of Glamour U.K., Osbourne recalled the pain of the breakup. "Having to tell them [my parents] my fiance had cheated on me with a tranny who sold his/her story to the press," Osbourne says. "It was so humiliating. Everyone kept telling me that Luke was cheating on me, but I never believed them. It's hard enough to get your head around someone cheating on you, but when that someone is a chick with a dick. Up until then, I'd always thought that the worst way to get cheated on would be with an ugly girl. Don't you think?"
Marti Abernathey, a blog editor and contributing writer at The Transadvocate, called Osbourne's comment "objectifying and dehumanizing." She went on to note, "Kelly, did you ever stop to think that maybe he cheated on you because of your bigoted and intolerant attitudes? Just a thought. Hate is a pretty ugly thing to be around."
Osbourne, who participated in Proposition 8 protests and is considered a longtime friend and supporter of the LGBT community, took to her Twitter account to defend herself.
Read the heated Twitter exchange between Osbourne and Abernathy on the next pages.
MissKellyO: don't u dare accuse me of being against anything 2 do w/ the LGBT community i have never given anything but 100% of my support
transadvocate: right, calling trans women "chicks with dicks" is so supportive! And tranny! Just ask @GLAAD!
transadvocate: sorry, that's not supportive. That's called dehumanization.
transadvocate: wld U call a black woman that cheated w/ yr BF a nigger? wld that B supportive of the African-American community?
R U denying U used "chick w/ a dick" or tranny? Do U know how awful ths
words R & how they dehumanize us to the point of death?
transadvocate: I will "accuse" you with your own words. You aren't an ally simply by stating you are.
MissKellyO: you should learn to fight the real fight not with people like me who love a fully support you!
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM