Inside a Twitter War: Kelly Osbourne Vs. Transphobia Allegation
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 02 2011 6:57 PM ET
Straight ally Kelly Osbourne has tweeted an apology after angering transgender activists and much of the LGBT community by using the word "tranny" and an even more derogatory term while discussing her breakup with ex-boyfriend Luke Worrall over trans model Elle Schneider.
During an interview that will appear in an upcoming issue of Glamour U.K., Osbourne recalled the pain of the breakup. "Having to tell them [my parents] my fiance had cheated on me with a tranny who sold his/her story to the press," Osbourne says. "It was so humiliating. Everyone kept telling me that Luke was cheating on me, but I never believed them. It's hard enough to get your head around someone cheating on you, but when that someone is a chick with a dick. Up until then, I'd always thought that the worst way to get cheated on would be with an ugly girl. Don't you think?"
Marti Abernathey, a blog editor and contributing writer at The Transadvocate, called Osbourne's comment "objectifying and dehumanizing." She went on to note, "Kelly, did you ever stop to think that maybe he cheated on you because of your bigoted and intolerant attitudes? Just a thought. Hate is a pretty ugly thing to be around."
Osbourne, who participated in Proposition 8 protests and is considered a longtime friend and supporter of the LGBT community, took to her Twitter account to defend herself.
Read the heated Twitter exchange between Osbourne and Abernathy on the next pages.
MissKellyO: don't u dare accuse me of being against anything 2 do w/ the LGBT community i have never given anything but 100% of my support
transadvocate: right, calling trans women "chicks with dicks" is so supportive! And tranny! Just ask @GLAAD!
transadvocate: sorry, that's not supportive. That's called dehumanization.
transadvocate: wld U call a black woman that cheated w/ yr BF a nigger? wld that B supportive of the African-American community?
R U denying U used "chick w/ a dick" or tranny? Do U know how awful ths
words R & how they dehumanize us to the point of death?
transadvocate: I will "accuse" you with your own words. You aren't an ally simply by stating you are.
MissKellyO: you should learn to fight the real fight not with people like me who love a fully support you!
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM