Transgender Rights Support Crosses Religious, Political Lines
BY Trudy Ring
November 13 2011 9:43 PM ET
There is overwhelming public support equal rights for transgender people, according to a new survey by the Public Religion Research Institute.
“Approximately 9 in 10 (89%) Americans — including strong majorities of all religious and partisan groups — agree that transgender people deserve the same rights and protections as other Americans,” the institute reports.
The survey, released earlier this month, was conducted in August and September. This fall, Chaz Bono’s appearance on Dancing With the Stars brought increased attention to transgender issues.
Among the institute’s findings are that there is support for equal rights for transgender people by 83% of white evangelical Protestants, 90% of white mainline Protestants, 93% of Catholics, and 95% of the religiously unaffiliated. Among political groups, there was support from 86% of Republicans, 92% of Democrats, and 94%, of Independents.
There was broad-based support for Congress to enact transgender rights legislation and for laws covering hate crimes based on gender identity. Read more here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 15 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 26 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 49 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM