After Antigay Charges, VA Nurse Removed from Patients
BY Neal Broverman
November 16 2011 7:35 PM ET
A nurse at the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center will not work with patients while she is investigated for an alleged homophobic rant against retired Marine lance corporal Esther Garatie (pictured).
Garatie recently sought help at the VA for severe depression and post-traumatic stress disorder; she told officials she was also having thoughts of suicide. But nurse practitioner Lincy Pandithurai told Garatie her emotional problems stemmed from the fact that she's gay. Garatie and friend Jessica Gerson started a petition on Change.org to have the nurse fired — they've received 12,000 signatures.
In response to the petition, the VA Hospital launched an investigation, taking Pandithurai away from patients in the interim.
"This campaign isn't just about helping Esther — it's about protecting other gay and lesbian servicemembers from having to deal with this kind of hate and bigotry, especially after they’ve given so much in service of our country," Gerson said, according to Change.org.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM