After Antigay Charges, VA Nurse Removed from Patients
BY Neal Broverman
November 16 2011 7:35 PM ET
A nurse at the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center will not work with patients while she is investigated for an alleged homophobic rant against retired Marine lance corporal Esther Garatie (pictured).
Garatie recently sought help at the VA for severe depression and post-traumatic stress disorder; she told officials she was also having thoughts of suicide. But nurse practitioner Lincy Pandithurai told Garatie her emotional problems stemmed from the fact that she's gay. Garatie and friend Jessica Gerson started a petition on Change.org to have the nurse fired — they've received 12,000 signatures.
In response to the petition, the VA Hospital launched an investigation, taking Pandithurai away from patients in the interim.
"This campaign isn't just about helping Esther — it's about protecting other gay and lesbian servicemembers from having to deal with this kind of hate and bigotry, especially after they’ve given so much in service of our country," Gerson said, according to Change.org.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 31 min 56 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 27 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 30 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM