Jonah Mowrys Mom Says Video is No Fake
BY Michelle Garcia
December 06 2011 8:44 PM ET
The mother of a teenage boy whose video accounting the bullying he's endured says she's thankful for the support her son has received.
While the validity of the video has been called into question, Jonah Mowry's mother told ABC News that the video is real, and that the Mowrys are also disheartened by aggressive comments made in response to the YouTube post. Jonah originally made the video in August upon fears of returning to school.
"I was dreading going back to school, and had not come out to my family yet," he said, according to ABC. "Only my closest friends knew. I didn't know how to say what I needed to say. All I could think about were all the bad things that had been happening at school last year — every year for that matter."
The video went viral, but some accused him of being a fraud after a followup video, posted on December 4, showed a happy Mowry. "To the people who think nobody likes me, almost my entire school likes me," he said in the video that he filmed with a friend.
"I'm disappointed that somebody could look at the first video and then look at the second and think it's a lie," his mother said. "He's a child. He's a 14-year-old boy. He's very young."
Watch the two videos below (the second was re-posted by another YouTube user after Mowry removed it from his account):
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Transgender WATCH: N.M. Catholic School Won't Let Trans Teen Wear Men's Graduation Garb 6 min 13 sec ago
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 39 min 13 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 40 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates With Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 50 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM