Jonah Mowrys Mom Says Video is No Fake
BY Michelle Garcia
December 06 2011 7:44 PM ET
The mother of a teenage boy whose video accounting the bullying he's endured says she's thankful for the support her son has received.
While the validity of the video has been called into question, Jonah Mowry's mother told ABC News that the video is real, and that the Mowrys are also disheartened by aggressive comments made in response to the YouTube post. Jonah originally made the video in August upon fears of returning to school.
"I was dreading going back to school, and had not come out to my family yet," he said, according to ABC. "Only my closest friends knew. I didn't know how to say what I needed to say. All I could think about were all the bad things that had been happening at school last year — every year for that matter."
The video went viral, but some accused him of being a fraud after a followup video, posted on December 4, showed a happy Mowry. "To the people who think nobody likes me, almost my entire school likes me," he said in the video that he filmed with a friend.
"I'm disappointed that somebody could look at the first video and then look at the second and think it's a lie," his mother said. "He's a child. He's a 14-year-old boy. He's very young."
Watch the two videos below (the second was re-posted by another YouTube user after Mowry removed it from his account):
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 22 min 18 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 2 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 11 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 2 hours 54 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM