WATCH: Rachel Maddow Interviews Candace Gingrich
BY Lucas Grindley
December 08 2011 4:34 PM ET
Candace Gingrich-Jones, the lesbian half-sister to Newt Gingrich, said she wouldn't be surprised if he used LGBT issues to get ahead politically.
"I wouldn't put it past any of the GOP presidential candidates," she told Rachel Maddow tonight on MSNBC. "It's historically been one of the things — a tactic — that's used."
Maddow asked whether having a gay sister would affect political strategy, but Gingrich-Jones said she didn't know the answer.
"I think that if he is a politician and saying these things because he's a politician but he doesn't believe them, or if he does believe them, I don't know if I like either of those answers very much," said Gingrich-Jones, who works for the Human Rights Campaign. "I know that at the end of the day, he's wrong."
Candace Gingrich-Jones confirmed that her half-brother was invited to her wedding and did not attend, having been on a different continent.
"Well, we still got a gift," she joked.
"Was it from Tiffany's?" Maddow asked, alluding to the six-figure bill that Newt Gingrich reportedly ran up at the store.
"I'm not at liberty to say," Gingrich-Jones replied.
Watch the complete interview below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM