WATCH: Gay Family Confront Homophobic Troy Mayor
BY Neal Broverman
December 12 2011 5:25 PM ET
At a city council meeting last week, Amy Weber, with her female spouse and daughters in tow, gently prodded Troy, Mich. mayor Janice Daniels about an antigay Facebook posting Daniels' wrote.
Daniels was elected in November as a Tea Party candidate; in June, she wrote the following Facebook message: "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there," in response to New York state's decision to legalize marriage equality.
The mayor has faced criticism and calls for her resignation since the post was uncovered this month. Weber brought her family to the December 5 city council meeting so Daniels could see a gay family firsthand. "I always like to think of challenges like this as opportunities to grow," Weber said to Daniels, before asking her to change her ways, including asking her to join a gay pride celebration. Watch Weber's speech below.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks
- From Jail, Kim Davis Still Refuses to Issue Marriage Licenses
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People