WATCH: Gay Family Confront Homophobic Troy Mayor
BY Neal Broverman
December 12 2011 4:25 PM ET
At a city council meeting last week, Amy Weber, with her female spouse and daughters in tow, gently prodded Troy, Mich. mayor Janice Daniels about an antigay Facebook posting Daniels' wrote.
Daniels was elected in November as a Tea Party candidate; in June, she wrote the following Facebook message: "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there," in response to New York state's decision to legalize marriage equality.
The mayor has faced criticism and calls for her resignation since the post was uncovered this month. Weber brought her family to the December 5 city council meeting so Daniels could see a gay family firsthand. "I always like to think of challenges like this as opportunities to grow," Weber said to Daniels, before asking her to change her ways, including asking her to join a gay pride celebration. Watch Weber's speech below.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM