WATCH: Gay Family Confront Homophobic Troy Mayor
BY Neal Broverman
December 12 2011 5:25 PM ET
At a city council meeting last week, Amy Weber, with her female spouse and daughters in tow, gently prodded Troy, Mich. mayor Janice Daniels about an antigay Facebook posting Daniels' wrote.
Daniels was elected in November as a Tea Party candidate; in June, she wrote the following Facebook message: "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there," in response to New York state's decision to legalize marriage equality.
The mayor has faced criticism and calls for her resignation since the post was uncovered this month. Weber brought her family to the December 5 city council meeting so Daniels could see a gay family firsthand. "I always like to think of challenges like this as opportunities to grow," Weber said to Daniels, before asking her to change her ways, including asking her to join a gay pride celebration. Watch Weber's speech below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 2 hours 24 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM