Orlando Approves Domestic-Partnership Registry
BY Julie Bolcer
December 13 2011 10:55 AM ET
Orlando became the first city in Central Florida to recognize the relationships of same-sex couples when it approved a domestic-partnership registry Monday.
The City Council voted unanimously to enact the registry, which will be open to gay and straight couples starting January 12. Couples, including vacationers from out of town, can record their relationship in a government database for a $30 fee. Appointments will be scheduled for as soon as this Tuesday.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, “Registered couples then would have a few of the same rights that married people take for granted: the ability to visit one another in the hospital or jail, to make health care decisions for an incapacitated partner and to make funeral plans.” The rights would apply only to institutions within Orlando city limits.
Mayor Buddy Dyer hailed the approval of the registry, and Commissioner Patty Sheehan said she plans to register with her partner. Some opponents charged the registry violates the voter-approved state constitutional amendment, passed in 2008, that bans same-sex marriage and similar unions.
Read more here.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Women 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 11 min 16 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 25 min 11 sec ago
- Russia Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis 27 min 21 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 47 min 13 sec ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 1 hour 9 min ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 24 min ago
- Television PHOTOS: Behind The Scenes With a New Gay Sitcom 1 hour 52 min ago