Scottish Writer Penning Graphic Novel
BY Neal Broverman
December 15 2011 10:35 PM ET
The acclaimed Scottish writer Denise Mina will pen graphic novels based on Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its two sequels.
Mina, who's latest novel is The End of the Wasp Season, is close to finishing the first book (Leonardo Manco will do the books' illustrations). Mina has a few changes in mind for her version of the series, which features the popular bisexual character Lisbeth Salander.
"The estate has given me free rein and I can change what I want … I think they think that enough people have read the books, and anyway, Larsson really loved comics," Mina told the Guardian. "I'm not changing that much [but] I think for most women there are problematic aspects of the story ... Lisbeth Salander is just a brilliant character. She is the main event for me. But she is a survivor of sexual abuse and I think every so often [Larsson] doesn't realise how frightened she is most of the time. I wanted to put those bits in."
- Finnish Postal Service Will Release Tom of Finland Stamps
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- Indian Supreme Court Recognizes Third Gender
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- Chaz Bono Talks Trans Issues on RuPaul's Drag Race
- S.C. Pols Continue Critique of College Over LGBT 'Recruitment'