Scottish Writer Penning Graphic Novel
BY Neal Broverman
December 15 2011 10:35 PM ET
The acclaimed Scottish writer Denise Mina will pen graphic novels based on Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its two sequels.
Mina, who's latest novel is The End of the Wasp Season, is close to finishing the first book (Leonardo Manco will do the books' illustrations). Mina has a few changes in mind for her version of the series, which features the popular bisexual character Lisbeth Salander.
"The estate has given me free rein and I can change what I want … I think they think that enough people have read the books, and anyway, Larsson really loved comics," Mina told the Guardian. "I'm not changing that much [but] I think for most women there are problematic aspects of the story ... Lisbeth Salander is just a brilliant character. She is the main event for me. But she is a survivor of sexual abuse and I think every so often [Larsson] doesn't realise how frightened she is most of the time. I wanted to put those bits in."
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality