Scottish Writer Penning Graphic Novel
BY Neal Broverman
December 15 2011 10:35 PM ET
The acclaimed Scottish writer Denise Mina will pen graphic novels based on Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its two sequels.
Mina, who's latest novel is The End of the Wasp Season, is close to finishing the first book (Leonardo Manco will do the books' illustrations). Mina has a few changes in mind for her version of the series, which features the popular bisexual character Lisbeth Salander.
"The estate has given me free rein and I can change what I want … I think they think that enough people have read the books, and anyway, Larsson really loved comics," Mina told the Guardian. "I'm not changing that much [but] I think for most women there are problematic aspects of the story ... Lisbeth Salander is just a brilliant character. She is the main event for me. But she is a survivor of sexual abuse and I think every so often [Larsson] doesn't realise how frightened she is most of the time. I wanted to put those bits in."
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong