Prop 8 Repeal Effort Collecting Signatures
December 17 2011 12:31 PM ET
Supporters of an effort to repeal Proposition 8 have a green light from California’s Secretary of State to begin gathering signatures for a return to the ballot next year.
Karen Ocamb of LGBT POV reports:
Love Honor Cherish’s ballot initiative proposed by gay attorney Thomas B. Watson to repeal Prop 8 was cleared on Thursday by the California Sec. of State to start gathering signatures. The Los Angeles-based grassroots group has until May 14, 2012 to collect 807,615 valid signatures in order to qualify for the Nov. 2012 ballot.
A decision to move forward to at least be prepared to launch a repeal campaign was made by the grassroots group last October after Equality California decided not to lead a repeal effort because of the progress of the federal Prop 8 case and because they were concerned about community apathy and raising enough money to be successful.
If it qualifies for the ballot in November, the initiative would "repeal the current provision in California's constitution that states only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California," according to the Secretary of State's website.
A three-judge panel for the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is expected to issue its ruling soon on whether to uphold or reverse Judge Vaughn Walker's 2010 decision striking down Prop. 8 as unconstitutional.
Read the LGBT POV report here.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 2 hours 46 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM