Michele and Marcus Bachmann Dispute Kinsey Report
BY Julie Bolcer
December 19 2011 10:15 AM ET
Republican presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann and her husband Marcus dismissed a woman who confronted them with information about the size of the gay population at a campaign event in north central Iowa on Sunday.
CNN reports on the exchange at a pizza restaurant, where the candidate was approached by a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker and holding a sign that said, “Gay-friendly Iowan.” The woman, Kathy Schnell, asked the Minnesota congresswoman to sign the sign, which she did with a laugh.
Schnell then said, "I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay." Bachmann seemed to ignore her, but then replied after Schnell commented that she was not listening.
"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," said Bachmann, in a reference to the sex researcher.
Marcus Bachmann, who has been accused of offering therapy to “change” gay people at his clinic in Minnesota, said, "Your facts are wrong.”
"That's not valid?" asked Schnell.
"No, it isn't," said the congresswoman before she moved to the next table. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."
Watch the video of the exchange. According to CNN, the event also drew other gay rights activists, including a college student who wanted to ask Bachmann about gay teen suicides but was told she would not be taking questions.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 5 min 8 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 9 min 45 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 25 min 45 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 29 min 31 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 42 min 24 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 1 hour 16 min ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 1 hour 19 min ago