Michele and Marcus Bachmann Dispute Kinsey Report
BY Julie Bolcer
December 19 2011 10:15 AM ET
Republican presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann and her husband Marcus dismissed a woman who confronted them with information about the size of the gay population at a campaign event in north central Iowa on Sunday.
CNN reports on the exchange at a pizza restaurant, where the candidate was approached by a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker and holding a sign that said, “Gay-friendly Iowan.” The woman, Kathy Schnell, asked the Minnesota congresswoman to sign the sign, which she did with a laugh.
Schnell then said, "I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay." Bachmann seemed to ignore her, but then replied after Schnell commented that she was not listening.
"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," said Bachmann, in a reference to the sex researcher.
Marcus Bachmann, who has been accused of offering therapy to “change” gay people at his clinic in Minnesota, said, "Your facts are wrong.”
"That's not valid?" asked Schnell.
"No, it isn't," said the congresswoman before she moved to the next table. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."
Watch the video of the exchange. According to CNN, the event also drew other gay rights activists, including a college student who wanted to ask Bachmann about gay teen suicides but was told she would not be taking questions.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM