Lance Bass Uses Transgender Slur on Air
BY Jeremy Kinser
December 22 2011 5:10 PM ET
Out entertainer Lance Bass suggests that comic Billy Eichner interview "trannies" for his new man-on-the-street program before Eichner corrects him, during an appearance on Access Hollywood this morning.
Bass was the guest cohost of the entertainment news program and interviewed Eichner, star of the new Fuse series Billy on the Street, in which he offers money to New York's pedestrians to answer silly questions.
"So you need to go to Christopher and Hudson and get those trannies on the corner there — that would be perfect," Bass suggests to Eichner. Eichner agrees, saying "I love a tranny" before realizing his error and correcting himself.
"We're not supposed to call them trannies anymore," Eichner says. "Did you see that Neil Patrick Harris called them a tranny [sic] on Twitter?" Bass replies, "Oh, no? Great, now I'm going to get in trouble."
Cohost Kit Hoover asks Eichner if there's a "new name." Bass says, "I didn't get the memo." Eichner suggests "really, really gay? I don't know." Bass replies, "I like my good ol' trannies."
Other celebrities have slipped and used the word, saying they also didn't realize it's considered a derogatory term. Following her recent gaffe in an interview with Glamour UK, Kelly Osbourne offered a mea culpa on the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation's blog, using the opportunity to describe transgender people as "some of the bravest people on Earth." Neil Patrick Harris tweeted an apology for using the word twice while cohosting Live With Kelly.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM