Ron Paul's '90s Newsletters Spew Antigay Sentiment
BY Neal Broverman
December 25 2011 5:40 PM ET
The New Republic has uncovered newsletters from current presidential candidate Ron Paul that are loaded with antigay and racist rants.
The newsletters dealing with gay content came from the Ron Paul Political Report or the Ron Paul Survival Report and were released in the 1990s (the entirety of the newsletters date back to the '70s). Many of the homophobic diatribes blame gay men for AIDS. An issue of the Ron Paul Survival Report from 1994 states that “those who don’t commit sodomy, who don’t get blood a transfusion, and who don’t swap needles, are virtually assured of not getting AIDS unless they are deliberately infected by a malicious gay.”
A newsletter from 1990 waxed nostalgic for the days when gays were shamed into living in the closet.
Paul's newsletters often attacked African-Americans, as well; one issue claimed Martin Luther King, Jr. was a pedophile. It's not yet clear if Paul himself wrote the articles. Read more here.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View