Ron Paul's '90s Newsletters Spew Antigay Sentiment
BY Neal Broverman
December 25 2011 5:40 PM ET
The New Republic has uncovered newsletters from current presidential candidate Ron Paul that are loaded with antigay and racist rants.
The newsletters dealing with gay content came from the Ron Paul Political Report or the Ron Paul Survival Report and were released in the 1990s (the entirety of the newsletters date back to the '70s). Many of the homophobic diatribes blame gay men for AIDS. An issue of the Ron Paul Survival Report from 1994 states that “those who don’t commit sodomy, who don’t get blood a transfusion, and who don’t swap needles, are virtually assured of not getting AIDS unless they are deliberately infected by a malicious gay.”
A newsletter from 1990 waxed nostalgic for the days when gays were shamed into living in the closet.
Paul's newsletters often attacked African-Americans, as well; one issue claimed Martin Luther King, Jr. was a pedophile. It's not yet clear if Paul himself wrote the articles. Read more here.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 31 min 12 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 47 min 5 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM