Ron Paul's '90s Newsletters Spew Antigay Sentiment
BY Neal Broverman
December 25 2011 6:40 PM ET
The New Republic has uncovered newsletters from current presidential candidate Ron Paul that are loaded with antigay and racist rants.
The newsletters dealing with gay content came from the Ron Paul Political Report or the Ron Paul Survival Report and were released in the 1990s (the entirety of the newsletters date back to the '70s). Many of the homophobic diatribes blame gay men for AIDS. An issue of the Ron Paul Survival Report from 1994 states that “those who don’t commit sodomy, who don’t get blood a transfusion, and who don’t swap needles, are virtually assured of not getting AIDS unless they are deliberately infected by a malicious gay.”
A newsletter from 1990 waxed nostalgic for the days when gays were shamed into living in the closet.
Paul's newsletters often attacked African-Americans, as well; one issue claimed Martin Luther King, Jr. was a pedophile. It's not yet clear if Paul himself wrote the articles. Read more here.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Commentary Op-ed: No One Is Invincible 1 hour 26 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down 1 hour 27 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Everything You Need to Know About PrEP 1 hour 30 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Transmit HIV Through Oral Sex? 1 hour 42 min ago
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 2 hours 26 min ago
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 2 hours 27 min ago
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 4:00 AM