Ted Haggard "Hesitant" About Gay Marriage
BY Winston Gieseke
January 04 2012 1:40 PM ET
While disgraced minister Ted Haggard and his wife do not consider gay people to be Satan, they are "hesitant" about marriage equality.
On last night's Celebrity Wife Swap, when actress Steffanie Sampson (fiancée of Gary Busey) challenged Haggard on his views on gay marriage, Haggard replied that his hesitation was due to semantics, adding "but we are for civil unions."
"What’s wrong with saying 'marriage'?" asked Sampson.
"The historic definition of marriage has been a heterosexual monogamous union," replied Haggard.
In 2006 a married Haggard made headlines when a male masseur alleged that the outspokenly antigay pastor had for three years been paying him for sex.
Watch the clip from Celebrity Wife Swap below.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 21 min 20 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 21 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM