Ted Haggard "Hesitant" About Gay Marriage
BY Winston Gieseke
January 04 2012 2:40 PM ET
While disgraced minister Ted Haggard and his wife do not consider gay people to be Satan, they are "hesitant" about marriage equality.
On last night's Celebrity Wife Swap, when actress Steffanie Sampson (fiancée of Gary Busey) challenged Haggard on his views on gay marriage, Haggard replied that his hesitation was due to semantics, adding "but we are for civil unions."
"What’s wrong with saying 'marriage'?" asked Sampson.
"The historic definition of marriage has been a heterosexual monogamous union," replied Haggard.
In 2006 a married Haggard made headlines when a male masseur alleged that the outspokenly antigay pastor had for three years been paying him for sex.
Watch the clip from Celebrity Wife Swap below.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- 15 Queer Documentaries That Helped Define Us
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Surprising No One, Texas State Senate Reaffirms Opposition to Marriage Equality