Ted Haggard "Hesitant" About Gay Marriage
BY Winston Gieseke
January 04 2012 2:40 PM ET
While disgraced minister Ted Haggard and his wife do not consider gay people to be Satan, they are "hesitant" about marriage equality.
On last night's Celebrity Wife Swap, when actress Steffanie Sampson (fiancée of Gary Busey) challenged Haggard on his views on gay marriage, Haggard replied that his hesitation was due to semantics, adding "but we are for civil unions."
"What’s wrong with saying 'marriage'?" asked Sampson.
"The historic definition of marriage has been a heterosexual monogamous union," replied Haggard.
In 2006 a married Haggard made headlines when a male masseur alleged that the outspokenly antigay pastor had for three years been paying him for sex.
Watch the clip from Celebrity Wife Swap below.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Mike Pence 'Abhors' Discrimination? His Record Shows Otherwise
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- Ellen's 11 Most Uproarious, April Fool's-Approved Pranks
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV