Ariz. Woman Sues Avis for Offering Gay Discounts
BY Neal Broverman
January 12 2012 2:10 PM ET
After renting a car in San Diego last year, an Arizona woman is suing Avis for offering discounts to gay and lesbian groups, saying it violates California's Civil Rights Act which bans discounts based on sexual orientation.
Avis established marketing agreements with the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association and National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, allowing its members reduced rental rates. Lynn Evenchik discovered about the discounts after she rented an Avis car in July.
“These unfair and unlawful business practices result in many consumers who are not affiliated with those organizations paying substantially higher rental rates than those made available to gay and lesbian renters,” the complaint states.
Evenchik's lawsuit asks for restitution for anyone who's rented an Avis vehicle since they began offering the LGBT discounts around September 2010, as well as an injunction to stop the gay discounts. Read more here.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM