BY Michelle Garcia
January 14 2012 1:54 PM ET
ABC has decided to cancel its controversial, poorly-rated sitcom, Work It, which depicted two men who dressed as women in order to get female-only jobs.
Several LGBT rights groups like the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the Human Rights Campaign, and the National Center for Transgender Equality led the charge against the show, which debuted to low ratings on Jan. 3. Viewership for the second episode dropped another 20%.
The show is not about transgender women, however GLAAD warned that "many viewers unfamiliar with the realities of being transgender will still make the connection." The groups also placed an ad in entertainment industry newspaper, Variety, telling ABC that the series invites people to laugh at "the characters' attempts at womanhood," which could give "license to similar treatment of transgender women."
Herndon Graddick, GLAAD's senior director of programs and communications, said in a statement Saturday that ABC has had a track record of groundbreaking shows with LGBT characters, in contrast with Work It. "As a result of this campaign," he said, "an important dialogue has been started in Hollywood and mainstream media about the real discrimination faced by transgender people today."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 16 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 40 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 46 min 3 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 42 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 11 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM