Big Wins at the Golden Globes
BY Michelle Garcia
January 16 2012 12:49 AM ET
Christopher Plummer took home the first Golden Globe of the evening on Sunday, with a win for his role as an older man who tells his son, played by Ewan McGregor, that he has cancer and a young male lover in Beginners.
Meryl Streep thanked Phyllida Lloyd, the out director who helmed the ship on The Iron Lady, in which Streep portrays one of the most controversial political leaders in modern history, Margaret Thatcher.
After accepting the Golden Globe for best original song, Madonna later joked that she hadn't kissed a girl on television in a couple of years, a barb pointed at host Ricky Gervais.
Kate Winslet won the Golden Globe for best actress in a mini-series or motion picture made for television for playing the title role in Mildred Pierce. The HBO flick also starred Evan Rachel Wood, who came out last year as bisexual, and was directed by Todd Haynes, who is also openly gay.
Hit ABC sitcom Modern Family won best comedy or musical television series. For more on the gay view of the Golden Globes, check out our roundup of the nominees.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM