Watch: All-Star Cast Reenact Marriage Equality Trial
BY Jeremy Kinser
January 17 2012 5:57 PM ET
Video has been released of Dustin Lance Black's marriage equality play 8, which starred Ellen Barkin, Matt Bomer, Morgan Freeman, Cheyenne Jackson, and Larry Kramer.
Black adapted the play from actual transcripts from the court trial to overturn Proposition 8, California's gay marriage ban. Black used the actual words of the trial transcripts, firsthand observations of the courtroom drama, and interviews with the plaintiffs and their families for the script for 8.
The one-night only staged reading directed by Tony Award-winner Joe Mantello last September attracted an illustrious cast that also included Christine Lahti, John Lithgow, Rob Reiner, Kate Shindle, Stephen Spinella, and Bradley Whitford. Proceeds went to the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which funds the fight for full federal marriage equality and supports educational efforts on the freedom to marry nationwide. A Los Angeles production directed by Reiner and headlined by George Clooney will take place in March, followed by other productions across the country.
Watch the video from the New York reading below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 2 hours 2 min ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 2 hours 29 min ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM