Neil Patrick Harris on Why His Relationship Is Work
BY Lucas Grindley
January 18 2012 8:59 PM ET
Neil Patrick Harris says his relationship with David Burtka isn't just "happy family fantastic-ness." It's work.
They are on the cover of Out magazine's Love Issue and share the story of how they met, became a couple, and are now raising two kids.
"I initially fell for David harder than he fell for me," Harris tells Out. "I was in love with him before he was comfortable saying it, and I think that speaks to our past experiences. I remember saying, 'I think I love you,' and he was like, 'That’s really nice,' which is not necessarily what you want to hear."
Harris says he's the quiet one, and Burtka is more like Tigger. They text each other constantly.
"I don’t want to paint our relationship like we met and it’s been happy family fantastic-ness ever since," he said. "What defines a relationship is the work that’s involved to maintain it, and it’s constantly changing. Sometimes I’m deeply in love with David and head-over-heels, and sometimes I question whether it’s going to work out and is meant to be."
Burtka said their zodiac signs might have something to do with their fighting.
"Our fights last five minutes, then we’re over it," Burtka said. "And we’re both Gemini — we have a good twin and a bad twin, and the four of us get along really well!"
Read their complete story and check out the intimate photos at Out.com.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Style WATCH: How to Dress For Summer 1 min 22 sec ago
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 33 min 59 sec ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 47 min 28 sec ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 53 min 56 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 1 hour 24 min ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 2 hours 31 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM