Ugandan Activists Commemorate Anniversary of David Kato's Death
January 26 2012 4:28 PM ET
Ugandan gay rights activist David Kato, who was murdered one year ago, was remembered today by fellow LGBT advocates working against all odds in the notoriously antigay nation.
About 100 activists and family members gathered at a Thursday ceremony in the capital city of Kampala to commemorate the life of Kato, former advocacy officer for the LGBT group Sexual Minorities Uganda.
"We are here to celebrate and thank God for our beloved friend and human rights activist David Kato," former Anglican bishop and LGBT rights advocate Christopher Senyonjo said at the gathering, Agence France-Presse reports.
President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke out against the tragedy after Kato was beaten to death with a hammer. “In Uganda, David showed tremendous courage in speaking out against hate,” Obama said in a January 27, 2011 statement. “He was a powerful advocate for fairness and freedom.”
A judge recently gave Enoch Nsubuga, 22, a 30-year sentence for the murder. Nsubuga had employed a gay panic defense, claiming that he was defending himself from unwanted sexual advances.
Read the AFP report here.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 42 min 52 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM