Homophobic Michigan Mayor Inserts Foot Back in Mouth
BY Neal Broverman
February 01 2012 8:35 PM ET
Troy, Mich. mayor Janice Daniels, who incited anger when an antigay Facebook post of hers was discovered in December, is in more hot water following comments she made to Troy High School's Gay-Straight Alliance.
"If I do [discuss the Facebook comment], I'm not sure that any of you will be satisfied," Daniels said at the January 9 meeting with the GSA, according to the HRC. "I will bring in psychiatrists, who will tell you that the homosexual lifestyle is dangerous."
Before Daniels was elected mayor, she responded on Facebook to New York State enacting marriage equality in June. "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there," Daniels wrote.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- Ellen's 11 Most Uproarious, April Fool's-Approved Pranks
- An Open Letter from a Transgender Rabbi to Trans Teens Everywhere
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- The Best Drag Take on Madonna Is By a Woman