Homophobic Michigan Mayor Inserts Foot Back in Mouth
BY Neal Broverman
February 01 2012 8:35 PM ET
Troy, Mich. mayor Janice Daniels, who incited anger when an antigay Facebook post of hers was discovered in December, is in more hot water following comments she made to Troy High School's Gay-Straight Alliance.
"If I do [discuss the Facebook comment], I'm not sure that any of you will be satisfied," Daniels said at the January 9 meeting with the GSA, according to the HRC. "I will bring in psychiatrists, who will tell you that the homosexual lifestyle is dangerous."
Before Daniels was elected mayor, she responded on Facebook to New York State enacting marriage equality in June. "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there," Daniels wrote.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun