Homophobic Michigan Mayor Inserts Foot Back in Mouth
BY Neal Broverman
February 01 2012 8:35 PM ET
Troy, Mich. mayor Janice Daniels, who incited anger when an antigay Facebook post of hers was discovered in December, is in more hot water following comments she made to Troy High School's Gay-Straight Alliance.
"If I do [discuss the Facebook comment], I'm not sure that any of you will be satisfied," Daniels said at the January 9 meeting with the GSA, according to the HRC. "I will bring in psychiatrists, who will tell you that the homosexual lifestyle is dangerous."
Before Daniels was elected mayor, she responded on Facebook to New York State enacting marriage equality in June. "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there," Daniels wrote.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM