Miley Cyrus Was Mocked By Christians for Being Pro Same-Sex Marriage
BY Jeremy Kinser
February 04 2012 12:55 AM ET
Miley Cyrus says that lack of equality in the U.S. makes her sick and reveals the hate mail she received for being in favor of same-sex marriage, in an op-ed the entertainer wrote for Glamour magazine.
"Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn't marry," Cyrus writes. "And you couldn't have that special day the way your friends do — you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person's shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach."
Cyrus reveals the threats and hate mail she received in 2010 after she tweeted a photo of a tattoo on her finger, which with the message "all love is equal" demonstrated her support for same-sex marriage. Cyrus writes that she was mocked by some fans, adding "They said, 'What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!' And I said, 'Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.'"
Cyrus says she believes every American should be allowed the same rights and civil liberties. "Without legalized same-sex marriage, most of the time you cannot share the same health benefits, you are not considered next of kin and you are not granted the same securities as a heterosexual couple," she writes. "How is this different than having someone sit in the back of the bus because of their skin color?"
She also shares that her father, country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, agrees with her stance on equality. "He loves my gay friends and even supports same-sex marriage," she adds. "If my father can do it, anyone can."
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM