Miley Cyrus Was Mocked By Christians for Being Pro Same-Sex Marriage
BY Jeremy Kinser
February 04 2012 1:55 AM ET
Miley Cyrus says that lack of equality in the U.S. makes her sick and reveals the hate mail she received for being in favor of same-sex marriage, in an op-ed the entertainer wrote for Glamour magazine.
"Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn't marry," Cyrus writes. "And you couldn't have that special day the way your friends do — you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person's shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach."
Cyrus reveals the threats and hate mail she received in 2010 after she tweeted a photo of a tattoo on her finger, which with the message "all love is equal" demonstrated her support for same-sex marriage. Cyrus writes that she was mocked by some fans, adding "They said, 'What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!' And I said, 'Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.'"
Cyrus says she believes every American should be allowed the same rights and civil liberties. "Without legalized same-sex marriage, most of the time you cannot share the same health benefits, you are not considered next of kin and you are not granted the same securities as a heterosexual couple," she writes. "How is this different than having someone sit in the back of the bus because of their skin color?"
She also shares that her father, country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, agrees with her stance on equality. "He loves my gay friends and even supports same-sex marriage," she adds. "If my father can do it, anyone can."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 17 min 20 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 49 min 56 sec ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 58 min 12 sec ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 1 hour 46 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM