Bloggers Call For JCPenney "Shop-In"
BY Winston Gieseke
February 11 2012 7:00 AM ET
Asking Ellen DeGeneres supporters to put their money where their mouths are, two bloggers have launched a social media campaign inviting people to a “shop-in” at JCPenny this Sunday, February 12.
ABC News reports that Tracey Gaughran-Perez, 41, who blogs about “photography, motherhood, style, and love,” says the campaign was created to stand up to a group identifying itself as One Million Moms, who she likens to “a bully trying to get JCPenney to sever ties with Ellen because she’s gay. What we’re doing is like parents coming together and standing up against bullies.”
The campaign encourages people to buy something at JCPenney on Sunday, either in a store or online, or to tweet a photo of themselves in or in front of a JCPenny store (along with the hashtag #jcpshopin).
The story quotes JCPenny’s corporate communications senior manager Kate Coultas as saying, “Standing with our partner Ellen DeGeneres – a person who is renowned for her honesty, integrity, kindness and humor – has been a privilege for all of us at JCPenney. We appreciate all of the kind words and actions in support of our decision.”
Read more here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 19 min 38 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM