Maggie Gallagher Believes She Represents the Mainstream
BY Winston Gieseke
February 11 2012 1:00 PM ET
Marriage Equality foe Maggie Gallagher was interviewed by The Big Picture’s Thom Hartmann, who challenged the activist on several key points.
When asked if she felt her efforts represented the mainstream or a fringe group, Gallagher said, “Thirty-one out of thirty-one times the American people have had a chance to vote in the last decade, including as recently as 2009 in May, they voted to say ‘no, we don’t believe that gay marriage is a right. We think marriage is the union between a husband and wife for a reason. These are the only unions that make new life and connect children and love to their mother and father.’”
“So, you think sterile people should not be able to get married?” Hartmann asked in response.
When asked if she felt her stance against same-sex marriage made gay teens feel inferior and contributed to the alarming rate of suicides, Gallagher turned the question around. “Do you feel like the millions of Americans who go out there and vote and organize and fight for the idea that marriage means a husband and wife are responsible for gay teen suicide or not?”
“Yes, I do,” answered Hartmann.
Watch the video below.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 48 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 4 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM