Recall Effort On for Antigay Michigan Mayor Janice Daniels
BY Neal Broverman
February 16 2012 3:35 PM ET
Janice Daniels, the embattled mayor of Troy, Mich., may be on her way out — two recall efforts have launched against her, even though she's only been in office three months.
Not only has Daniels made enemies for an antigay Facebook post she wrote months before her election, she's repeatedly put her foot in her mouth when the post is brought up. The mayor recently told GSA members at Troy High School that "the homosexual lifestyle is dangerous."
Daniels is also viewed by many as a subpar mayor. She voted against millions in federal funding for a Troy transit center, which would have brought hundreds of jobs to the city. She also is involved in a public war of words with the city manager and is accused of breaking City Council rules by addressing a topic for more than five minutes.
There were two recall petitions filed on Monday with the Oakland County Clerk's Office; one called Daniels a "dangerous, polarizing ideologue." The Oakland County Election Commission will meet March 1 to consider the recall petitions. If they are approved, recall supporters will have 90 days to acquire approximately 8,000 signatures. Read more here.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM