N.Y. Conservative Senator Loses Party Endorsement for Marriage Vote
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2012 5:31 PM ET
A New York Republican senator is losing the backing of his local Conservative Party because he voted in favor of marriage equality last year.
In New York, a state that allows candidates to run on tickets for more than one political party, the Conservative Party largely backs Republican candidates. Instead of endorsing incumbent state senator Mark Grisanti, party chairman Ralph C. Lorigo said Grisanti no longer had the trust of the party after initially saying he was against marriage equality before voting for the bill in 2011.
Lorigo told The New York Times that he and his party affiliates felt betrayed by Grisanti's change of heart. He voted with fellow Republicans James Alesi, Roy McDonald, and Stephen Saland to approve the marriage equality bill in the GOP-controlled state Senate.
The party has instead endorsed Charles Swanick, a conservative Democrat who opposes marriage equality and pro-choice laws, while favoring fiscally conservative policies, according to the report.
The freshman senator won his seat after a close race; his district, in the western section of upstate New York, includes parts of Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Senate majority leader Dean Skelos told the Times he was not worried about Grisanti's seat.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 36 min 56 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 33 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM