Anoka-Hennepin School District Reaches Settlement
BY Nick Visser
March 05 2012 2:34 PM ET
The Anoka-Hennepin School District in Minnesota has reached a settlement in the bullying lawsuit filed against it last summer, the Minneapolis Star Tribune confirmed Monday. The suit, filed on behalf of six current and former students, said the district’s “neutrality” policies led to severe bullying and harassment based on sexual orientation in schools.
The school board will vote tonight whether to accept the settlement’s terms and end a federal civil rights case.
The decision comes a little more than a month after the publication of a controversial Rolling Stone article detailing a “cluster” of nine teen suicides in Rep. Michele Bachmann’s home district, with at least four of the nine either gay or perceived to be gay. Teachers were previously given an effective gag order on the discussion of sexual orientation in schools.
The neutrality policy under question was replaced with a “respectful exchange of views” policy last month in a 5-1 vote.
The terms of the potential settlement have not yet been made public.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Memories of JFK From His Gay Best Friend
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM