Majority-Gay Dallas Church Helps Strapped St. Paul Congregation
BY Trudy Ring
March 05 2012 3:50 PM ET
A predominantly gay church congregation in Dallas has stepped in to help a largely African-American Minnesota church that lost most of its members due to its pastor’s support for marriage equality.
Representatives from Dallas’s Cathedral of Hope United Church of Christ, often cited as the world’s biggest predominantly LGBT congregation, delivered a check for $15,000 February 26 to the Grace Community United Church in St. Paul, Religion News Service reports.
Grace Church, also a UCC affiliate, lost more than 70% of its members after its pastor, the Reverend Oliver White, voted in favor of the denomination’s endorsement of marriage equality in 2005. “About 25% of the congregation did not come back the following Sunday, and it gradually went down from there,” White told Religion News Service. He blamed the decline on members’ homophobia.
The church, which now has only about 50 members, has had difficulty meeting its mortgage payments and other expenses, so early in February, White sent a funding appeal letter to 40 UCC congregations around the nation. Only three responded — one with $500, one with $600, and the Cathedral of Hope with its $15,000 gift.
The Reverend Jo Hudson, the Dallas church’s senior pastor, made an appeal in her sermon after reading White’s letter. In response, congregants donated $14,000 in a single Sunday, and the church itself added $1,000.
White said the donation will keep his church going until June, but it still needs to address the long-term picture. He expressed a measure of confidence, however, saying, “My friends in Dallas won’t let us fail.”
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 36 min 36 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 44 min 10 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 24 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 21 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 36 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 5:25 PM