U.N. Secretary-Gen. Urges Global Gay Rights
BY Michelle Garcia
March 07 2012 6:17 PM ET
The United Nations secretary-general issued a special message to the world's LGBT population during the U.N.'s first hearing to discuss discrimination and violence against LGBT people.
Ban-Ki Moon said that many other world leaders are hesitant to talk about gay rights because it simply was not something discussed in the past. However, he said he "learned to speak out because lives are at stake, and because it is our duty, under the United Nations charter, and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to protect the rights of everyone everywhere."
Watch the full statement below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM