Governor Wishes "Don't Say Gay" Bill Would Disappear
BY Lucas Grindley
March 13 2012 4:07 PM ET
The Republican governor of Tennessee wishes the "don't say gay" bill would just go away, even though it's proposed by members of his own party.
Gov. Bill Haslam told WPLN that the bill "is not something I think is particularly helpful or needed right now." And he says that belief has been shared directly with Rep. Joey Hensley, the sponsor of the bill.
Haslam predicted last year that the bill would never pass. It had won approval in the Senate, but the House ran out of time. And ever since it resurfaced this year, Haslam has frequently called on the House Education Subcommittee to "lay aside" the measure to focus on other priorities.
"It's no secret we've been part of talks there, and I've said from the very beginning I think there's better things for the legislature to occupy themselves with right now," Haslam told NewsChannel 5 in February. "We would love to see the legislature focus on some other issues right now."
So far, there are no signs that House Republicans are listening to Haslam.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 30 min 27 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM