Governor Wishes "Don't Say Gay" Bill Would Disappear
BY Lucas Grindley
March 13 2012 4:07 PM ET
The Republican governor of Tennessee wishes the "don't say gay" bill would just go away, even though it's proposed by members of his own party.
Gov. Bill Haslam told WPLN that the bill "is not something I think is particularly helpful or needed right now." And he says that belief has been shared directly with Rep. Joey Hensley, the sponsor of the bill.
Haslam predicted last year that the bill would never pass. It had won approval in the Senate, but the House ran out of time. And ever since it resurfaced this year, Haslam has frequently called on the House Education Subcommittee to "lay aside" the measure to focus on other priorities.
"It's no secret we've been part of talks there, and I've said from the very beginning I think there's better things for the legislature to occupy themselves with right now," Haslam told NewsChannel 5 in February. "We would love to see the legislature focus on some other issues right now."
So far, there are no signs that House Republicans are listening to Haslam.
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM