LGBT Super PAC Launches in San Francisco
BY Nick Visser
March 13 2012 3:59 PM ET
The first LGBT super PAC launched earlier this month, with plans to support the 2012 Obama-Biden ticket through the power of social media, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
The Pride PAC intends to lobby President Obama’s more than 36 million social media followers on Facebook and Twitter and raise $1 million, while refraining from attack campaigns against Republican candidates.
"I don’t think in American history there has been a super PAC focused on civil rights," cofounder Rose Dawydiak-Rapagnani told San Francisco’s Edge news service. "As we get closer to the election we want to show how powerful the LGBT community is. We can demonstrate that corporate America doesn’t lead; that is the status quo right now with the super PACs."
The group’s mission statement per its website:
"Today, super PACs are used to satisfy corporate and special interests by using donations to lobby Congress and run slanderous political campaign media against opposing presidential candidates. We have decided to combat this blatant misuse of our election system by using social media to spread awareness and advocacy of the Obama-Biden LGBT agenda in the reelection of President Barack Obama on November 8th, 2012. Join the campaign and movement to fight for a brighter tomorrow!"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM