LGBT Super PAC Launches in San Francisco
BY Nick Visser
March 13 2012 3:59 PM ET
The first LGBT super PAC launched earlier this month, with plans to support the 2012 Obama-Biden ticket through the power of social media, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
The Pride PAC intends to lobby President Obama’s more than 36 million social media followers on Facebook and Twitter and raise $1 million, while refraining from attack campaigns against Republican candidates.
"I don’t think in American history there has been a super PAC focused on civil rights," cofounder Rose Dawydiak-Rapagnani told San Francisco’s Edge news service. "As we get closer to the election we want to show how powerful the LGBT community is. We can demonstrate that corporate America doesn’t lead; that is the status quo right now with the super PACs."
The group’s mission statement per its website:
"Today, super PACs are used to satisfy corporate and special interests by using donations to lobby Congress and run slanderous political campaign media against opposing presidential candidates. We have decided to combat this blatant misuse of our election system by using social media to spread awareness and advocacy of the Obama-Biden LGBT agenda in the reelection of President Barack Obama on November 8th, 2012. Join the campaign and movement to fight for a brighter tomorrow!"
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 43 min 15 sec ago
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 1 hour 36 min ago
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 59 min ago
- Politics Big Repub Donors Fund Push for ENDA 2 hours 41 min ago
- Love and Sex Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something 2 hours 43 min ago
- Media Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 3:10 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 3:07 PM