Neil Meron, Craig Zadan Honored For Telling LGBT Stories
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 16 2012 8:39 PM ET
Prolific producing team Neil Meron and Craig Zadan, whose many acclaimed films have almost always been LGBT-inclusive, will be presented with the Vito Russo Award by Bernadette Peters and John Stamos at the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards.
"Through many of their projects, Zadan and Meron have been trailblazers in telling the stories of the LGBT community," the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) says in a statement. The two men are co-producers of NBC's acclaimed musical drama Smash and the Lifetime comedy Drop Dead Diva, and have previously brought to the small screen the fact-based Serving in Silence: The Margarethe Cammermeyer Story, as well as the lesbian-themed custody drama What Makes A Family, and Wedding Wars, which starred Stamos. Their feature films include the Academy Award-winning best picture Chicago, the equality-themed musical Hairspray, and last year's hit remake of Footloose. Meron and Zadan are also respected names on Broadway, having produced the Tony Award-nominated revival of Promises, Promises, which starred Sean Hayes and Kristen Chenoweth, and the hit production of How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, which currently stars Nick Jonas.
The Vito Russo Award is named in honor of the celebrated activist-writer, who was also a founding member of GLAAD. It's presented annually to an openly LGBT media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equality for the LGBT community. Past recipients include Ricky Martin, Cynthia Nixon, Tom Ford, and Elton John.
The awards will take place in New York City March 24. For more information, go to GLAAD.org/MediaAwards.
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM