FIRST LOOK: Daniel Radcliffe As Allen Ginsberg
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 19 2012 8:11 PM ET
The first photos of Daniel Radcliffe as gay Beat poet Allen Ginsberg in the film Kill Your Darlings have emerged, courtesy of People magazine.
The film will tell the true story of Ginsberg's friendship with On the Road author Jack Kerouac (Jack Huston) and Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan), a fellow member of their close circle of friends who later became identified with the Beat movement in literature. In 1944, Carr, who was heterosexual and is the father of The Alienist author Caleb Carr, murdered David Kammerer, who had been obsessively pursuing the 19 year old Carr. While some of their friends presumed the two men were sexually involved, Carr and their mutual friend William Burroughs insisted they weren't.
Radcliffe, a longtime advocate for equality who has recorded several PSAs on behalf of the suicide prevention group, the Trevor Project, will play his first gay character in the film. Entertainment Weekly reports Elizabeth Olsen will play Kerouac's first wife Edie and Ben Foster will portray William S. Burroughs. Others in the cast include David Cross, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael C. Hall, and Kyra Sedgwick.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime