FIRST LOOK: Daniel Radcliffe As Allen Ginsberg
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 19 2012 9:11 PM ET
The first photos of Daniel Radcliffe as gay Beat poet Allen Ginsberg in the film Kill Your Darlings have emerged, courtesy of People magazine.
The film will tell the true story of Ginsberg's friendship with On the Road author Jack Kerouac (Jack Huston) and Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan), a fellow member of their close circle of friends who later became identified with the Beat movement in literature. In 1944, Carr, who was heterosexual and is the father of The Alienist author Caleb Carr, murdered David Kammerer, who had been obsessively pursuing the 19 year old Carr. While some of their friends presumed the two men were sexually involved, Carr and their mutual friend William Burroughs insisted they weren't.
Radcliffe, a longtime advocate for equality who has recorded several PSAs on behalf of the suicide prevention group, the Trevor Project, will play his first gay character in the film. Entertainment Weekly reports Elizabeth Olsen will play Kerouac's first wife Edie and Ben Foster will portray William S. Burroughs. Others in the cast include David Cross, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael C. Hall, and Kyra Sedgwick.
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- Op-ed: How Not to React When an LGBT Teacher Is Fired
- WATCH: Gay of Thrones Episode 2: Joffrey's Quinceañera
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Finnish Postal Service Will Release Tom of Finland Stamps