FIRST LOOK: Daniel Radcliffe As Allen Ginsberg
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 19 2012 9:11 PM ET
The first photos of Daniel Radcliffe as gay Beat poet Allen Ginsberg in the film Kill Your Darlings have emerged, courtesy of People magazine.
The film will tell the true story of Ginsberg's friendship with On the Road author Jack Kerouac (Jack Huston) and Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan), a fellow member of their close circle of friends who later became identified with the Beat movement in literature. In 1944, Carr, who was heterosexual and is the father of The Alienist author Caleb Carr, murdered David Kammerer, who had been obsessively pursuing the 19 year old Carr. While some of their friends presumed the two men were sexually involved, Carr and their mutual friend William Burroughs insisted they weren't.
Radcliffe, a longtime advocate for equality who has recorded several PSAs on behalf of the suicide prevention group, the Trevor Project, will play his first gay character in the film. Entertainment Weekly reports Elizabeth Olsen will play Kerouac's first wife Edie and Ben Foster will portray William S. Burroughs. Others in the cast include David Cross, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael C. Hall, and Kyra Sedgwick.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members