Queen Latifah Headlines Remake
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 19 2012 1:57 PM ET
Queen Latifah, Alfre Woodard, and Phylicia Rashad will star in the Lifetime remake of the tearjerking comedy Steel Magnolias for producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan, reports Deadline.
The Academy Award-nominated Latifah, who previously starred in the producers hit musicals Chicago and Hairspray, will star as M’Lynn and also co-executive produce the film. Rashad and Woodard will cosar as bickering longtime friends Clairee and Ouiser, respectively. Grammy winner Jill Scott will play beauty shop owner Truvy, Adepero Oduye has been cast as her awkward protogee Annelle, while Condola Rashad, daughter of Phylicia, will play the pivotal role of Shelby. Filming will begin on the project, an updated version of the popular play and 1989 film, next month in Atlanta.
"We believe the movie is about community...and it's a community of all types who fit together by a commonality of family," Meron said to The Advocate when the project was first announced. "Very much like the gay community. We think that there are a lot of elements that gay viewers can relate to, with these ladies hanging together, growing together and dealing with the eccentricities of life and the strength they must face when there is a death among them at such an early age."
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM