California Democrats Pledge Defeat to N.C.'s Amendment 1
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2012 3:46 PM ET
California's Democrats have announced they will lend a hand to help defeat North Carolina's Amendment 1, which could constitutionally bar same-sex couples from marriage if passed by voters this May.
California Democratic Party chairman John Burton announced his party's solidarity with President Barack Obama, whose campaign last week said he opposes Amendment 1.
"California Democrats stand ready to help and we will soon be in touch with ways that Democrats here can start getting the word out to voters in North Carolina about the need to defeat Amendment One," Burton said in a statement, according to LGBT POV.
Burton stressed that this summer's Democratic convention, which will take place in Charlotte, N.C., makes it especially important for Democrats to help defeat the ballot measure.
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Members of Congress to Antigay Nations' Diplomats: Leave Your Spouse Home