Will Nebraska Fire Antigay Coach?
BY Michelle Garcia
March 21 2012 5:17 PM ET
The University of Nebraska is being asked to terminate assistant football coach Ron Brown after he lobbied the Omaha City Council to reject a law prohibiting anti-LGBT discrimination.
"What are you going to do with Jesus?" Brown said in his testimony to the Omaha City Council. "Ultimately, if you don't have a relationship with him, and you don't really have a Bible-believing mentality, then anything goes."
While the city of Omaha passed the measure last week, Brown's words and actions are the reasoning behind a Change.org petition to fire Brown. Brown's actions violate his school's own nondiscrimination policy, which bans bias "based upon age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, sex, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran’s status marital status, religion and political affiliation," Outsports reports.
However, Brown has used his position as assistant coach to promote his religious beliefs. Brown, who has said he is working in football to "bring honor and glory to God," has also said he believes his life's purpose is to lead people to salvation through Christ. Last year Brown led a joint prayer between his team and Penn State's after the Jerry Sandusky molestation accusations surfaced.
In 2002, Brown was turned down for a coaching job at Stanford University because his views were in opposition to the institution's policies.
Watch Brown's testimony below:
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 6 min 46 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 29 min 38 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 37 min 6 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 45 min 11 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 47 min 46 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 55 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 15 min ago