Supreme Court Won't Consider Wisconsin Antitransgender Law
BY Michelle Garcia
March 26 2012 5:55 PM ET
The U.S. Supreme Court will not hear a case against the state of Wisconsin after a lower court ruled that the state's law banning medically necessary treatment for transgender people in prison is unconstitutional.
The state passed the Inmate Sex-Change Prevention Act in 2005, prohibiting doctors in state-run prisons from providing transition-related care such as hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery, according to Lambda Legal.
The organization, along with the American Civil Liberties Union, filed a lawsuit against the state on behalf of several transgender inmates. The women were experiencing physical and psychological harm after their medical treatment was suddenly cut off because of the law.
A federal district court ruled in favor of the transgender women, and a court of appeals upheld the ruling. The state attempted to appeal, but the U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday that the court would not hear the case, thereby allowing the lower courts' rulings to stand.
Last year the Federal Bureau of Prisons changed its policy to now allow treatment for transgender people in federal prisons.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM