WATCH: Bernadette Peters Presents GLAAD Award to Neil Meron, Craig Zadan
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 26 2012 9:20 PM ET
Producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan were honored for their staggering body of LGBT-inclusive films with the prestigious Vito Russo Award by Bernadette Peters and John Stamos at the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards Saturday.
Before introducing the two men, Peters recalled some of their career highlights. "Equally or more relevant is their quest to tackle social and political issues in their work," Peters says. The actress and long-time friend of the producers also announced two future projects, including a television film about Constance McMillen, the lesbian teenager who sued her Mississippi high school for the right to take her girlfriend to her prom.
Meron caused the crowd to erupt in laughter while sharing his difficulty in writing his acceptance speech and joked about how being best friends with Stamos makes people think he's straight. Zadan remembered his close friendship with the late Russo, whom he says he and Meron honored by making their acclaimed biopic Life With Judy Garland. Zadan recalled how GLAAD assisted the two men when they made a more controversial biopic, 2003's The Reagans. "We had death threats for telling the truth about that president's outright refusal to acknowledge the growing AIDS crisis in America," Zadan says. "We could not have survived that ordeal...without the help of GLAAD."
For a full recap of the GLAAD awards go here. Watch Peters, Meron, and Zadan below.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Politics | Advocate.com
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 15 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 40 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 14 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM