Jane Fonda Cast as Nancy Reagan
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 27 2012 11:50 AM ET
Controversial Academy Award-winning actress Jane Fonda is expected to portray former Republican first lady Nancy Reagan in director Lee Daniels's upcoming White House-set drama Butler, reports Variety.
Fonda, an outspoken liberal activist, will reportedly appear in a few scenes as the conservative wife of President Ronald Reagan in the film. Daniels adapted the screenplay with Danny Strong from a Washington Post story about Eugene Allen, the White House butler whose career started in 1952 with Harry Truman and ended 34 years later with Reagan.
Forest Whitaker is expected to play Allen. Daniels, who won wide acclaim with 2009's searing drama Precious, is also in talks to cast one of that film's producers, Oprah Winfrey, as Allen's wife. Liam Neeson is in negotiations to play Lyndon B. Johnson, while John Cusack is negotiating to portray Richard Nixon. Previously reported to be in consideration for roles are Mila Kunis as Jacqueline Kennedy and Hugh Jackman as either John F. Kennedy or Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 min 24 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 3 min 55 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 15 min 17 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 30 min 30 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 44 min 23 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 47 min 3 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 58 min 52 sec ago