Jane Fonda Cast as Nancy Reagan
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 27 2012 11:50 AM ET
Controversial Academy Award-winning actress Jane Fonda is expected to portray former Republican first lady Nancy Reagan in director Lee Daniels's upcoming White House-set drama Butler, reports Variety.
Fonda, an outspoken liberal activist, will reportedly appear in a few scenes as the conservative wife of President Ronald Reagan in the film. Daniels adapted the screenplay with Danny Strong from a Washington Post story about Eugene Allen, the White House butler whose career started in 1952 with Harry Truman and ended 34 years later with Reagan.
Forest Whitaker is expected to play Allen. Daniels, who won wide acclaim with 2009's searing drama Precious, is also in talks to cast one of that film's producers, Oprah Winfrey, as Allen's wife. Liam Neeson is in negotiations to play Lyndon B. Johnson, while John Cusack is negotiating to portray Richard Nixon. Previously reported to be in consideration for roles are Mila Kunis as Jacqueline Kennedy and Hugh Jackman as either John F. Kennedy or Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- The World Is Finally Ready For the Lost Recordings of '70s Gay Rockers Smokey