Outfest to Merge With NewFest, Organizers Announce
BY Lucas Grindley
March 27 2012 3:50 PM ET
New York's long-running LGBT film festival, NewFest, is merging with Outfest, organizers announced today.
This year's NewFest, held July 27 through July 30, will be programmed by Outfest as a first step toward becoming one national arts organization.
“Outfest brings a wealth of knowledge and wide-ranging capabilities to NewFest," said the event's co-president of the board, Steve Mendelsohn. He said the new arrangement with Outfest, which is based in Los Angeles, will make for a better festival in New York and expand programming year round.
NewFest is more than 20 years old, and Outfest is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
- Country Singer Billy Gilman Comes Out as Gay
- Artist Spotlight: Boots Bryant
- Country Music Star Ty Herndon Comes Out as Gay
- Transgender Day of Remembrance: Those We've Lost in 2014
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died