Outfest to Merge With NewFest, Organizers Announce
BY Lucas Grindley
March 27 2012 4:50 PM ET
New York's long-running LGBT film festival, NewFest, is merging with Outfest, organizers announced today.
This year's NewFest, held July 27 through July 30, will be programmed by Outfest as a first step toward becoming one national arts organization.
“Outfest brings a wealth of knowledge and wide-ranging capabilities to NewFest," said the event's co-president of the board, Steve Mendelsohn. He said the new arrangement with Outfest, which is based in Los Angeles, will make for a better festival in New York and expand programming year round.
NewFest is more than 20 years old, and Outfest is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House