Outfest to Merge With NewFest, Organizers Announce
BY Lucas Grindley
March 27 2012 4:50 PM ET
New York's long-running LGBT film festival, NewFest, is merging with Outfest, organizers announced today.
This year's NewFest, held July 27 through July 30, will be programmed by Outfest as a first step toward becoming one national arts organization.
“Outfest brings a wealth of knowledge and wide-ranging capabilities to NewFest," said the event's co-president of the board, Steve Mendelsohn. He said the new arrangement with Outfest, which is based in Los Angeles, will make for a better festival in New York and expand programming year round.
NewFest is more than 20 years old, and Outfest is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future