Outfest to Merge With NewFest, Organizers Announce
BY Lucas Grindley
March 27 2012 4:50 PM ET
New York's long-running LGBT film festival, NewFest, is merging with Outfest, organizers announced today.
This year's NewFest, held July 27 through July 30, will be programmed by Outfest as a first step toward becoming one national arts organization.
“Outfest brings a wealth of knowledge and wide-ranging capabilities to NewFest," said the event's co-president of the board, Steve Mendelsohn. He said the new arrangement with Outfest, which is based in Los Angeles, will make for a better festival in New York and expand programming year round.
NewFest is more than 20 years old, and Outfest is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- From Jail, Kim Davis Still Refuses to Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Best (and Worst) Tweets About Kim Davis
- Mike Huckabee Urges 'Free Kim Davis'; Others Call Her a Rosa Parks
- Judge Denies Divorce, Blames Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks