NHL Players Lend Their Voices to You Can Play Project
BY Josh Hinkle
March 30 2012 6:03 PM ET
In a public service announcement for the You Can Play Project, 10 NHL players join Patrick and Brian Burke to speak out against homophobia.
Players James Van Riemsdyk, Mark Fayne, Frans Nielsen, Tyler Bozak, George Parros, Brandon Prust, David Steckel, Andy Greene, RJ Umberger, and Brian Boyle make appearances in the project's recently released video, according to Towleroad.com.
"My brother Brendan fought for tolerance, equality, and gay rights in sports," Patrick Burke, a scout for the Philadelphia Flyers, says in the PSA. Brendan was a student manager for his college hockey team and came out as gay shortly before his death in a car accident. Brendan and Patrick's father, Brian Burke, is president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
You Can Play—Second Period (below) is one of nine PSAs produced by the You Can Play Project. To see the other eight videos, visit the You Can Play Project's YouTube page.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- 22 Russians Who We Won't Let Vladimir Putin Forget Were LGBT
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 57 min 51 sec ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 11 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 23 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 1 hour 29 min ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 4:19 PM
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 4:16 PM