Former DNC Chairs: It's Time to Endorse Marriage
BY Michelle Garcia
April 04 2012 3:59 PM ET
Former Democratic National Committee chairs Howard Dean, Donald Fowler, Steve Grossman, and David Wilhelm submitted a joint statement to their party Wednesday urging Democrats to endorse marriage equality in their platform.
"Fighting for families, freedom, and inclusion in the American Dream is the Democratic Party's DNA—its history, values, and vision for the country," the four said in a statement, according to The Huffington Post. "That's why so many of the most influential Party leaders — including, today, four of the most recent Party chairs — support a freedom to marry plank in the Democratic Party platform."
While President Barack Obama and current party chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz have not indicated whether they agree, the convention's chairman, Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, has said that marriage should be a plank issue for Democrats starting this year. Meanwhile, Freedom to Marry has launched the Democrats: Say I Do campaign, urging the party to expand its platform, ensuring an official party-wide stance on marriage.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM