Harassing Boss Ordered to Pay Lesbian Chef $1.6 Mil
BY Michelle Garcia
April 04 2012 4:24 PM ET
A lesbian chef was awarded $1.6 million after her boss made repeated attempts to "pray away" her sexual orientation.
Mirella Salemi was a chef at the New York City eatery Mary Ann’s on West Broadway for six years. She said owner Edward Globokar would hold regular prayer meetings in the restaurant to help "convert" gay employees such as Salemi. Globokar reportedly told employees who didn't agree with his religious
views that they faced eternal damnation unless they prayed or went to
Salemi eventually quit in 2007, according to the New York Post. Globokar has been ordered to pay $1.2 million in punitive damages and $400,000 in compensation to Salemi.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 49 min 2 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 23 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 23 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 23 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM