Harassing Boss Ordered to Pay Lesbian Chef $1.6 Mil
BY Michelle Garcia
April 04 2012 4:24 PM ET
A lesbian chef was awarded $1.6 million after her boss made repeated attempts to "pray away" her sexual orientation.
Mirella Salemi was a chef at the New York City eatery Mary Ann’s on West Broadway for six years. She said owner Edward Globokar would hold regular prayer meetings in the restaurant to help "convert" gay employees such as Salemi. Globokar reportedly told employees who didn't agree with his religious
views that they faced eternal damnation unless they prayed or went to
Salemi eventually quit in 2007, according to the New York Post. Globokar has been ordered to pay $1.2 million in punitive damages and $400,000 in compensation to Salemi.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 15 min 35 sec ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 12 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 15 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM