Harassing Boss Ordered to Pay Lesbian Chef $1.6 Mil
BY Michelle Garcia
April 04 2012 4:24 PM ET
A lesbian chef was awarded $1.6 million after her boss made repeated attempts to "pray away" her sexual orientation.
Mirella Salemi was a chef at the New York City eatery Mary Ann’s on West Broadway for six years. She said owner Edward Globokar would hold regular prayer meetings in the restaurant to help "convert" gay employees such as Salemi. Globokar reportedly told employees who didn't agree with his religious
views that they faced eternal damnation unless they prayed or went to
Salemi eventually quit in 2007, according to the New York Post. Globokar has been ordered to pay $1.2 million in punitive damages and $400,000 in compensation to Salemi.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Florida Man Fired for Saying He'll Wed His Dog Because of Same-Sex Marriage
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'