Harassing Boss Ordered to Pay Lesbian Chef $1.6 Mil
BY Michelle Garcia
April 04 2012 3:24 PM ET
A lesbian chef was awarded $1.6 million after her boss made repeated attempts to "pray away" her sexual orientation.
Mirella Salemi was a chef at the New York City eatery Mary Ann’s on West Broadway for six years. She said owner Edward Globokar would hold regular prayer meetings in the restaurant to help "convert" gay employees such as Salemi. Globokar reportedly told employees who didn't agree with his religious
views that they faced eternal damnation unless they prayed or went to
Salemi eventually quit in 2007, according to the New York Post. Globokar has been ordered to pay $1.2 million in punitive damages and $400,000 in compensation to Salemi.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 21 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM