Robo-Call: Don’t Vote for “Homosexuality and Mitt Romney”
BY Trudy Ring
April 04 2012 1:50 PM ET
An antigay robo-call promoting Rick Santorum that went out in advance of the Ohio primary last month was resurrected for Tuesday’s Wisconsin race.
The call, sponsored by a group called Jews and Christians Together, asks people to “vote for social sanity and Rick Santorum, not for homosexuality and Mitt Romney.” It continues, “Rick Santorum is the only candidate who can be trusted to uphold traditional marriage, a straight military, and the rights of American children to have both a mother and a father.”
On her show Tuesday night, Rachel Maddow said she was skeptical of earlier reports about the call because it seemed so “freakishly strange,“ but she now believes it’s real. She wondered if it would make voters believe Romney has a running mate called “homosexuality.“
Apparently the call will go out again as the primary season continues. The website of Jews and Christians Together refers to an “ongoing robo-call campaign” and portrays Romney as a supporter of LGBT equality and abortion rights — hardly accurate characterizations, at least currently. Despite the call, Romney won Wisconsin, with 44% of the vote to Santorum’s 37%.
Watch Maddow’s report on the call here. Her discussion of it begins at about the 1:50 mark.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Politics | Advocate.com
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM