Robo-Call: Don’t Vote for “Homosexuality and Mitt Romney”
BY Trudy Ring
April 04 2012 1:50 PM ET
An antigay robo-call promoting Rick Santorum that went out in advance of the Ohio primary last month was resurrected for Tuesday’s Wisconsin race.
The call, sponsored by a group called Jews and Christians Together, asks people to “vote for social sanity and Rick Santorum, not for homosexuality and Mitt Romney.” It continues, “Rick Santorum is the only candidate who can be trusted to uphold traditional marriage, a straight military, and the rights of American children to have both a mother and a father.”
On her show Tuesday night, Rachel Maddow said she was skeptical of earlier reports about the call because it seemed so “freakishly strange,“ but she now believes it’s real. She wondered if it would make voters believe Romney has a running mate called “homosexuality.“
Apparently the call will go out again as the primary season continues. The website of Jews and Christians Together refers to an “ongoing robo-call campaign” and portrays Romney as a supporter of LGBT equality and abortion rights — hardly accurate characterizations, at least currently. Despite the call, Romney won Wisconsin, with 44% of the vote to Santorum’s 37%.
Watch Maddow’s report on the call here. Her discussion of it begins at about the 1:50 mark.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 2 hours 17 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM