Trump to Allow All Trans Women to Compete in Miss Universe
BY Neal Broverman
April 10 2012 1:40 PM ET
Thanks to the urging of GLAAD, Donald Trump's Miss Universe organization is in the process of changing their rules to allow transgender women to compete for the crown.
The new policy comes after transgender contestant Jenna Talackova sued after being disqualified from the Miss Universe Canada contest. Talackova was later allowed to compete by Miss Universe officials. And starting in the fall of 2013, all transgender women will be allowed in the global competition.
“For more than two weeks, the Miss Universe Organization and Mr. Trump made it clear to GLAAD that they were open to making a policy change to include women who are transgender,” GLAAD spokesperson Herndon Graddick said in a statement. “We appreciate that he and his team responded swiftly and appropriately. The Miss Universe Organization today follows institutions that have taken a stand against discrimination of transgender women including the Olympics, NCAA, the Girl Scouts of America and The CW’s America’s Next Top Model."
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 52 min 47 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 56 min 11 sec ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 4 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 19 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 33 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 40 min ago
- Entertainment News Watch: Fox News' Most Anti-Trans Comments 1 hour 41 min ago