Pro-Prop. 8 Trial Witness Speaks Out Against North Carolina Anti-LGBT Amendment
April 11 2012 10:59 AM ET
One of the few defense witnesses to testify at the 2010 Proposition 8 trial in favor of the anti-marriage equality ballot measure is now calling on North Carolina voters to reject their own upcoming referendum on the issue.
North Carolina’s Amendment One is far more draconian than Prop. 8, as it not only constitutionally bans same-sex marriage, but also erases any possibility of civil unions or domestic partnerships for same sex couples: a prospect that Institute for American Values president David Blankenhorn calls extreme and dangerous.
“If you disdain gay and lesbian persons, and don’t care whether they and their families remain permanently outside of the protection of our laws, such a policy might be your cup of tea,” Blankenhorn wrote in a Wednesday op-ed with the institute’s vice president, Elizabeth Marquardt. “But it’s not our view, and we doubt that it’s the view of most North Carolinians.”
“If you want to create a backlash against mother-father marriage – if you want to convince people that the real agenda of marriage advocates is not protecting marriage, but ignoring and ostracizing gay people – then this amendment might be to your liking," Blankenhorn and Marquardt continued. “But we believe that the cause of marriage is hurt, not helped, by gratuitously linking it to the cause of never under any circumstances helping gay and lesbian couples.”
Read the full op-ed here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM