Pro-Prop. 8 Trial Witness Speaks Out Against North Carolina Anti-LGBT Amendment
April 11 2012 9:59 AM ET
One of the few defense witnesses to testify at the 2010 Proposition 8 trial in favor of the anti-marriage equality ballot measure is now calling on North Carolina voters to reject their own upcoming referendum on the issue.
North Carolina’s Amendment One is far more draconian than Prop. 8, as it not only constitutionally bans same-sex marriage, but also erases any possibility of civil unions or domestic partnerships for same sex couples: a prospect that Institute for American Values president David Blankenhorn calls extreme and dangerous.
“If you disdain gay and lesbian persons, and don’t care whether they and their families remain permanently outside of the protection of our laws, such a policy might be your cup of tea,” Blankenhorn wrote in a Wednesday op-ed with the institute’s vice president, Elizabeth Marquardt. “But it’s not our view, and we doubt that it’s the view of most North Carolinians.”
“If you want to create a backlash against mother-father marriage – if you want to convince people that the real agenda of marriage advocates is not protecting marriage, but ignoring and ostracizing gay people – then this amendment might be to your liking," Blankenhorn and Marquardt continued. “But we believe that the cause of marriage is hurt, not helped, by gratuitously linking it to the cause of never under any circumstances helping gay and lesbian couples.”
Read the full op-ed here.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM