BY Neal Broverman
January 11 2010 7:50 PM ET
Vilified by the right wing, granted a hero’s welcome by the LGBT establishment, and mocked and lauded in equal measure by the mainstream media, Amanda Simpson learned how hot the spotlight really is when she was unofficially identified as the first transgender presidential appointee. Trouble is, she’s not the first transgender staffer appointed by the executive branch — and we may never know who really is.
Weeks before that photo of an ebullient Simpson became ubiquitous and news of her appointment to the Department of Commerce as a senior technical adviser spread online, Dylan Orr (pictured) — a 30-year-old transgender man — quietly set up his desk at the Department of Labor after getting the nod from President Obama in late October. Working as the special assistant to assistant secretary Kathy Martinez in the Office of Disability Employment Policy, Orr started work on December 7 with a surprising amount of experience for someone so young — before moving to D.C., he worked at Disability Rights Washington, an advocacy organization in Seattle. Orr also put in time at a civil rights law firm and last year received his juris doctor from the University of Washington School of Law.
So why hasn’t the accomplished Orr been able to assume his place in history?
The National Center for Transgender Equality, of which Simpson was a board member for three years, initially circulated news of her appointment to the media. Mara Keisling, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group, says there’s no conspiracy to promote Simpson at the expense of Orr.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 27 min 27 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM