Meet the Point Foundation’s Class of 2010
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 15 2010 2:10 PM ET
- from Sewickley, Pa.
- pursuing a BFA in fashion design at the Art Institute of Chicago
- Phyllis Mandler & Gary Elden Point Scholarship recipient
Brilmyer was raised in a suburb of Pittsburgh. After she came out at 15, her relationship with her family deteriorated, ultimately resulting in her leaving home and beginning her life as a financially independent adult.
As a high school senior, Brilmyer founded her school’s first GSA. With the club, she led the school in days of action, such as the Day of Silence, Transaction Week, and others, all of which visibly changed the climate of the school and the community. During high school, Brilmyer also served on the board of GLSEN Pittsburgh and volunteered extensively at the Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Pittsburgh.
Brilmyer’s passion has always been creating art, and she is currently studying fashion design and fine arts at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Before this, she had been creating clothing for herself and others since a young age, and in 2006 she developed an online business selling queer-positive apparel of her own design.
Her current interests lie in developing and designing clothing for gender-queer and gender-fluid individuals, as she understands the importance of gender expression for all people. In college, Natalie also leads the School of the Art Institute’s Queers and Allies Club, and volunteers for various LGBT organizations in Chicago. She plans to continue to devote herself to LGBT activism and hopes to integrate these experiences and her love of art in promoting expressions of gender and sexual identity in the queer community through art.
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Kids React to Same-Sex Marriage Ruling
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- Excerpt: Trading a Fab NYC Life for Tennessee in Home Is a Fire