Mason Wyler Comes Clean
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 24 2010 7:35 PM ET
You say there were moments when you had unsafe sex, and you knew the risks going in. Ever professionally?
I did do two very small bareback scenes probably two or three years ago, but I never really thought of that as risky because we did get tested beforehand and I kind of knew the guys.
You frequently hear people say that if you’re doing porn or you’re sleeping with a porn star, you should assume that person is HIV-positive. What’s your take on that?
It kind of bothers me. I love the industry. I love a lot of the people I’ve met. There are a lot of people who have drug issues and personality issues. But there are also a lot of really great people.
I didn’t mean to suggest porn performers are positive and lying about it. I think it’s the assumption that there are a lot of people who may be positive and don’t know.
I think that’s a generalization as well. You know what you’re getting into, and as long as you have safe sex, the risk isn’t any higher than if you were sleeping around in your private life and using condoms. Every situation is different. Everybody has a different sex life, a sex drive.
When you posted on your blog that you are HIV-positive, the response initially was fairly negative. You even got some comments from people suggesting this was a publicity stunt. Were you expecting that?
Yeah. It’s expected a fair amount of comments will be “What do you expect? He’s a slut. He did porn.” A good amount are going to be these “Oh, don’t worry. You’ll get through this.” So, it was kind of “eh” for me.
What has surprised you most since you put it out there?
That so many people in the industry have rallied to my side. I love the industry, but I’ve never really felt like I was a part of it since I don’t live in California. I live in the suburbs of Houston. So the only time I see people in the industry is when I’m shooting. So it was touching that a number of people actually showed me their support.
What do you hope people take from your experience?
I honestly don’t know. What I take from it is that I should learn to be more careful in my private life. I shared a little bit with my former roommate, and I suppose he was trying to gain more attention, get more traffic for his blog. Being in porn, our job is to keep people entertained, and the more fans you have, the more likely you are to get work. But you should have a bottom line you don’t cross, and he obviously didn’t.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 33 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM